Sustainable seafood is seafood that is either caught or farmed in ways that consider the long-term vitality of harvested species and the well-being of the oceans. It was first promoted through the sustainable seafood movement which began in the 1990s. This operation highlights overfishing and environmentally destructive fishing methods. Through a number of initiatives, the movement has increased awareness and raised concerns over the way our seafood is obtained. *Wikipedia
Here at Quality Seafood the importance of providing Sustainable Seafood to our customers is imperative. Not only does promoting sustainability secure our future, but the future of generations to come. Our Marine environments are under a great amount of pressure caused by overfishing and environmental destruction. We strive to make as little of a footprint as we can by knowing our farmers, fisheries and fishermen. We regularly visit our local fisheries and fishermen and observe their working environment ensuring they meet our standards. We continue to educate ourselves through research to keep abreast of the issues that our waters are facing. Simply put, Quality Seafood does not engage in unsustainable practices.
Sustainable and local Texas Fish available at Quality Seafood Market:
Farm-raised in Palacios, Texas by Lonestar Aquafarms, Ltd. – a family owned and operated business.
- An official Go Texan farm
- These redfish are antibiotic free. Fish health is maintained by high water quality.
- They are also growth hormone free and additive free.
- The farm uses wild genetics (no genetic modification)
- The farm is inspected and approved for operation by the following organizations: the United States Department of Agriculture, the Texas Department of Agriculture, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, and the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Farm-raised in Danevang, Texas by Silver Streak Bass Co. – a family company.
- An official Go Texan Member
- The bass are antibiotic free and growth hormone free.
- Farm-raised in Lockhart, Texas by Texas Quail Farms – the only certified quail processing facility in the state of Texas.
- An official Go Texan farm
- Quails are raised on all-natural feed which is free of growth hormones and antibiotics.
Other sustainable products we carry (Some of these items are only available during certain seasons, so please be sure to check on availability!) 512-452-3820
Clams, Mussels & Oysters
Cod: Pacific (AK)
Crab: King& Snow (AK)
Crawfish (US farmed)
Mahi Mahi (US handlines)
Snapper(US diving, handlines)
Crab: Dungeness (Canada & US)
Crawfish (LA wild)
Lobster (Bahamas & US)
Mahi Mahi (Ecuador & US longlines)
Octopus (Portugal & Spain pots)
Salmon (Canada Pacific & US)
Scallops: Sea (wild)
Shrimp (Canada & US wild, Ecuador
& Honduras farmed)
Squid (Chile, Mexico, Peru & US)
Tilapia (China, Colombia, Honduras,
Indonesia, Mexico & Taiwan)
Trout: Rainbow/Steelhead (Chile farmed)